FFT utilizes a network of elite-athlete coaches who lead by example
Our coaches in North Carolina, Madison Wisconsin, and Seattle are ready to help you succeed with one-on-one field coaching, e-coaching, or a combination thereof. We believe that great coaching happens when a love of athletics and teaching intersects with great people skills and knowledge. For us, that knowledge must be informed by experience. It is mandatory that our coaches are seasoned elite athletes–coaching is an art as well as a science. There are simply too many nuances, complexities, and subtleties that cannot be learned from sitting in a weekend clinic or reading a book; true insight can only be gained by doing, failing, and succeeding. We’ve been there; we know what it takes.
Our training system is FAST
F.A.S.T. stands for the FFT Algorithm for Superior Training. FAST was first developed and proven by Eric Bean while the Head Coach of Stanford University’s Triathlon Team It has been refined over the last decade and leverages four crucial components of effective training plan design and coaching knowledge: 1) thorough understanding of sports physiology, biomechanics, nutrition, aerodynamics, and the neuromuscular role in force production; 2) elite amateur experience in each of the component sports; 3) professional triathlon racing; and 4) testing and refining the system on hundreds of athletes in competitive performance-driven environments.
FAST is ideal for motivated athletes who are seeking to make significant gains in performance and need to be efficient with their training. The program is tailored in two versions: FAST-pro™ and FAST-lifestyle™. But it’s not for everyone. Though workouts are short, they can be hard. This is not a program for the faint of heart or wishy-washy. If you don’t LOVE to train hard and challenge yourself, find another program. You will not “zone out” during the key workouts, as they tax your brain as well as your body.
- FAST-pro™ is designed for a top-quartile age-grouper looking to make the leap to the next level, or a young pro-development athlete anticipating a successful Ironman or ITU campaign.
- FAST-lifestyle™ provides a high-yield training system built around the same concepts as FAST-pro™, but is fine-tuned for the needs, capabilities, and time constraints of the recreational athlete.
FAST™ doesn’t include garbage miles or mindless training. Each workout is to-the-point and highly effective. Our athletes are surprised by how little they train-and usually express initial concern that they are not training enough-until they rip the courses apart.
An affectionate name for the first half of the season. The vast majority of triathletes are deficient in knowledge or ability in at least one sport. By teaching athletes about proper training and technique in their less proficient sports, we achieve significant gains with minimal physical stress. This initial jump in performance with only moderate training load is what FFT athletes call the “Honeymoon.” Many of our athletes are as fast as or faster than they’ve ever been without having done a single VO2max or lactate threshold workout! Yes, the Honeymoon does end, but not without benefit…the improved technique propels athletes to greater fitness throughout the season. Moreover, our athletes start the “hard” part of the season mentally fresh and ready to tackle the challenging training and racing yet to come.
The concept is simple: specific training must occur at particular phases in the season to produce maximal results. As simple as it is, the concept is often misapplied. FAST™ schedules the various training phases in the optimal order and duration to maximize your endurance performance.
A taper is not simply about resting and taking it easy. While rest is critical, a taper must also include a small amount of high intensity training to maximize such things as aerobic enzyme concentration, mechanical efficiency, glycogen storage, and lactate clearance capacity. FAST™ protects the fitness gains you’ve worked so hard to make through the season with an optimal taper.
Complete Multisport Approach
Triathletes face a seemingly insurmountable amount of training that could be done. The buffet of options is endless. FFT knows just what to put on your plate, and when. We understand how each sport impacts the others and we’ve developed a weekly schedule that maximizes multisport productivity. Each session flows into the next. Every day we make progress in some aspect of your performance.
- Individualized coaching is $249-299/month with a 4 month minimum and a $250 set-up fee, which covers start-up consultation sessions in each sport and a LT and max power cycling test on a CompuTrainer. Collegiate athletes receive a 15% discount on set-up fees.
- Groups of 4 or more with the same A-race schedule are eligible to receive a 50% per-person discount on coaching services. An FFT coach will design a custom training plan for the group, and each athlete will receive an individual online training log account with FFT and their group training plan will automatically be uploaded to their log every month.
- Full-time college students, juniors (18 and under), and professional triathletes are eligible for a discount on individualized and group coaching services on a first-come-first-served basis. These discounts cannot be combined (pro junior collegiate athletes cannot receive coaching for close to free)
- Collegiate teams triathlon Clubs interested in coaching and clinics should use the Contact form to initiate this discussion.